General Abelardo L. Rodríguez, governor of the state of Baja California during the period from 1923 to 1929, built the House of Government in the area known as Campo Alaska in order to move the government offices from the city of Mexicali up to this site during the months of June to October, to enjoy the cooler mountain climate. Another building constructed on the site was the Federal Military Headquarters (currently the museum) which housed the troops and the Chiefs of Staff. The Agustina Ramírez de Rodríguez Elementary School was also built here in order to provide classes to the children of the soldiers and the surrounding families. Later in time, during the government of Brigadier General José María Tapia Freyding, the Military Headquarters was converted into a Mental Hospital, better known as the Crazy House, and the House of Government was turned into the Tuberculosis Hospital; these continued to function until 1955.
In the year 2004, the Corredor Histórico CAREM. A.C. organization, The Rumorosa Regional Trust (el Fideicomiso Autopista Rumorosa, FIARUM), the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), and the Baja California Cultural Institute took on the task of restoring Campo Alaska. Today it serves as a museum, with exhibits related to the history of the region.